To thee we lift our grateful song of praise,
Our Father, Saviour, tender Friend;
Thy word of promise faithful hast thou kept,
From sunny springtime’s songful seeding days
Till harvest’s rich and golden end.
We thank thee for our homes of love and light,
For treasure-houses full of store,
For country’s borders kept from pest and grief,
For peace that sings away the war-god’s blight,
And blesses all from shore to shore.
For graces higher, richer, do we kneel,
Adore; for truth that lights our way;
The Christ that lifts to fellowship with thee ;
The Spirit in whose ceaseless life we feel
The strength to toil from day to day.
We would not ask for more. We only pray
That these may all men feel and see;
That sin and wrong, that doubt and fear and pain
Through love of life and good may fall away,
And all alike be filled with thee.
- Join us at ALA Annual 2015!
- How to Make Beautiful Homes (1865)
- Alaska’s Remarkable Judge (1901)
- The Glory of the Schools of Los Angeles
- A Short History of Libraries
- Should the Sexes Study Together? (1868)