The National Era
With Dr. Gamaliel Bailey, Jr., as editor, this newspaper was issued weekly in the District of Columbia for more than thirteen years. It was printed “on a mammoth sheet, of the finest quality, in handsome type, at the rate of two dollars a year” and contained seven columns on each of four pages. Since John Greenleaf Whittier was an associate editor, much of his poetry, prose and editorials were included. With a continued heavy emphasis on literary reviews and commentaries it was the paper in which Uncle Tom’s Cabin was serialized.
The 1847 Prospectus for The National Era stated, “…While due attention will be paid to Current Events, Congressional Proceedings, General Politics and Literature, the great aim of the paper will be a complete discussion of the Question of Slavery, and an exhibition of the Duties of the Citizen in relation to it; especially will it explain and advocate the leading Principles and Measures of the Liberty Party, seeking to do this, not in the spirit of the Party, but in the love of Truth—not for the triumph of Party, but for the establishment of Truth…”
The Browse and/or Search links below are for visitors on networks with institutional access to this collection. Individuals with personal subscriptions must login at accessible.com to access the Browse and Search features.
- The National Era, Washington, D.C. – Complete – January 7, 1847–March 22, 1860
- A Pro-Slavery Catechism
- The South and the Ordinance of 1787
- Happy Birthday to the District of Columbia!
- An Appeal for WM. S. Bailey of Kentucky
- The First Chapter of Uncle Tom’s Cabin was published on June 5, 1851
- The OTHER Fire at the Library of Congress – 1851
- The Annexation of Cuba in The National Era
- Longfellow’s Hiawatha – a Poetic Response
- War Song for Thanksgiving, 1847
- Feeding Bees in The National Era
- A Crime Against God and Man
- Moby-Dick is 161 Years Old Today
- Charles E. Clarke on the Texas and New Mexico Border Legislation
- The Black Code of Louisiana, 1806
- Law Of Slavery in The State of Louisiana
- Interesting News From Cuba in The National Era