American County Histories
These large county volumes have long formed the cornerstone of local historical and genealogical research. They are encyclopedic in scope and virtually limitless in their research possibilities.
These books include chapters with detailed coverage of local history, geology, geography, weather, transportation, lists of all local participants in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, government, the medical and legal professions, churches and ministers, industry and manufacturing, banking and insurance, schools and teachers, noted celebrations, fire departments and associations, cemeteries, family histories, health and vital statistics, roads and bridges, public officials and legislators, and many additional subject areas.
The full-text search capability of the American County Histories database permits the student/researcher to explore all the publications of a particular county by using a single query. In addition, those wishing to read or browse the text on a page by page basis may do so in the original format merely by scrolling down the screen and then continuing to the next chapter. The Table of Contents is hyperlinked to each chapter as well as to each individual illustration. The user can select a particular graphic from the List of Illustrations and proceed immediately to it by clicking on the highlighted text.
American County Histories is currently divided into four groupings: Mid-Atlantic States, New England States, Southeastern States, and The West.
Due to the large amount of available material, New York and Pennsylvania are each further divided into regions. Each part of the entire collection contains pages of text, plates and maps from all counties.
For a more indepth look at this collection, we have A White Paper: American County Histories — Their Uses, Usability, Sources and Problems with Access by Harold E. Way, MLS, MA available online.
Full list of Counties by State.
American County Histories
Individual States – Mid-Atlantic
Individual States – New England
Individual States – Southeastern
- American County Histories: Alabama
- American County Histories: Florida
- American County Histories: Georgia
- American County Histories: Kentucky
- American County Histories: Louisiana
- American County Histories: Mississippi
- American County Histories: North Carolina
- American County Histories: South Carolina
- American County Histories: Tennessee
- American County Histories: Virginia
- American County Histories: West Virginia
Individual States – The Southwest
Individual States – The West
- American County Histories: Alaska
- American County Histories: California
- American County Histories: Colorado
- American County Histories: Hawaii
- American County Histories: Idaho
- American County Histories: Montana
- American County Histories: Nevada
- American County Histories: Oregon
- American County Histories: Utah
- American County Histories: Washington
- American County Histories: Wyoming
- The History of Monterey and San Benito Counties
- A Southern Address for Veterans Day
- A Look Inside: The Indians of the Pike’s Peak Region
- The Latest Full Text Books Online
- Pioneer History of Coos and Curry Counties
- Mad Anne Bailey
- History of the City of Denver, Arapahoe County, and Colorado
- QWERTY Comes to Life
- Georgia Colony’s Trustee Notes
- A Look Inside ‘Utah Since Statehood…’, Volume I
- Facts about our New Collection – American County Histories: The Southwest
- A Sketch of Mrs. Emma C. Laugenour
- A Look Inside the History of Washington and Kent Counties, Rhode Island (1889)
- A Look Inside the History of York County, Pennsylvania
- A Look Inside the History of Sonoma County California
- Six New Full Text Additions for California
- The Early History of Danbury, New Hampshire
- Biographical Sketches: Mrs. Theodora Tiffee Purkitt, M.D.
- Biographical Sketches: Mrs. Caroline Muller
- A Look Inside the History of Colusa and Glenn Counties California
- Peter N. Bondesen of Salinas
- Schools in the Pennsylvania Forest
- Daniel Boone, Pioneer, Pathfinder
- Our Pioneer Women of Bandera County Texas
- A Look Inside Charles Henry Carey’s The History of Oregon