Delaware and Maryland County Histories
The state of Delaware is located on the Atlantic Coast in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. It is bordered to the south and west by Maryland, to the east by New Jersey and to the north by Pennsylvania.
Delaware is located in the northeastern portion of the Delmarva Peninsula and is the second smallest state in area (after Rhode Island). The state is divided into three counties. From north to south, these three counties are New Castle, Kent, and Sussex. While the southern two counties have historically been predominantly agricultural, New Castle County’s economy owns more to the industrialization of the region.
- J. Thomas Scharf, A.M., LL.D., HISTORY OF DELAWARE. 1609 – 1888. VOLUME I. , L.J. RICHARDS & CO, 1888
- J. Thomas Scharf, A.M., LL.D., HISTORY OF DELAWARE. 1609 – 1888. VOLUME II. , L.J. RICHARDS & CO, 1888
Maryland is located in the Mid Atlantic region of the United States, bordering Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia to its south and west; Pennsylvania to its north; and Delaware to its east.
Maryland was the seventh state to ratify the United States Constitution and has three different nicknames in common usage: The Old Line State, The Free State, and The Chesapeake Bay State.
- J. THOMAS SCHARF, A.M, HISTORY OF BALTIMORE CITY AND COUNTY, FROM THE EARLIEST PERIOD TO THE PRESENT DAY: INCLUDING BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THEIR REPRESENTATIVE MEN. , LOUIS H. EVERTS, 1881
- HISTORY OF CAROLINE COUNTY, MARYLAND, FROM ITS BEGINNING. , J.W. Stowell Pr. Co.;, 1920
- GEORGE JOHNSTON, HISTORY OF CECIL COUNTY, MARYLAND, AND THE EARLY SETTLEMENTS AROUND THE HEAD OF CHESAPEAKE BAY AND ON THE DELAWARE RIVER, WITH SKETCHES OF SOME OF THE OLD FAMILIES OF CECIL COUNTY. , PUBLISHED BY THE AUTHOR, 1881
- ELIAS JONES, HISTORY OF DORCHESTER COUNTY, MARYLAND. , WILLIAMS & WILKINS COMPANY PRESS, 1902
- T. J. C. WILLIAMS, HISTORY OF FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND FROM THE EARLIEST SETTLEMENTS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES. VOLUME I. , L.R. TITSWORTH & CO, 1910
- T.J.C. WILLIAMS, HISTORY OF FREDERICK COUNTY MARYLAND FROM THE EARLIEST SETTLEMENTS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE WAR BETWEEN THE STATES. VOLUME II. , L.R. TITSWORTH & CO, 1910
- Walter W. Preston, HISTORY OF HARFORD COUNTY FROM 1608 (THE YEAR OF SMITH’S EXPEDITION) TO THE CLOSE OF THE WAR OF 1812. , Press of Sun Book Office, 1901
- SAMUEL ALEXANDER HARRISON, A.M., M.D, HISTORY OF TALBOT COUNTY MARYLAND 1661-1861. , WILLIAMS & WILKINS COMPANY MDCCCCXV, 1915
- J. Thomas Scharf, A.M.,, HISTORY OF WESTERN MARYLAND BEING A HISTORY OF FREDERICK, MONTGOMERY, CARROLL, WASHINGTON, ALLEGHANY, AND GARRETT COUNTIES FROM THE EARLIEST PERIOD TO THE PRESENT DAY INCLUDING BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THEIR REPRESENTATIVE MEN. , Louis H. Everts, 1882
- George A. Hanson, OLD KENT: THE EASTERN SHORE OF MARYLAND. , J.P. Des Forges, 1876
- J. D. WARFIELD, A. M, THE FOUNDERS OF ANNE ARUNDEL AND HOWARD COUNTIES, MARYLAND: A GENEALOGICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL REVIEW FROM WILLS, DEEDS AND CHURCH RECORDS. , KOHN & POLLOCK, PUBLISHERS, 1905