Florida County Histories
The written history of Florida begins with the arrival of Europeans to Florida, beginning with the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León in 1513. From that time of contact Florida experienced a long history of immigration, including French and Spanish settlement during the 16th century, as well as entry of new Native American groups migrating from elsewhere in the South.
Florida was under colonial rule by Spain and Great Britain during the 18th and 19th centuries before becoming a territory in 1822 of the United States. Two decades later, in 1845, Florida was admitted to the union as the 27th US state.
After becoming a state, Florida’s population grew slowly. White settlers continued to encroach on lands held by the Seminoles, and the United States government resolved to make another effort to move the remaining Seminoles to the West.
Though most of the Seminoles were forcibly exiled to Creek lands west of the Mississippi, hundreds, including Seminole leader Aripeka (Sam Jones), remained in the Everglades and refused to leave the native homeland of their ancestors. Their descendants remain there to this day.
- ALACHUA THE GARDEN COUNTY OF FLORIDA; ITS RESOURCES AND ADVANTAGES ,
- CHARLES B. REYNOLDS, OLD SAINT AUGUSTINE. , E. H. REYNOLDS,1885
- CHARLES B. REYNOLDS, OLD SAINT AUGUSTINE: A STORY OF THREE CENTURIES, E.H. REYNOLDS, 1886
- CHARLES E. HARRISON, GENEALOGICAL RECORDS OF THE PIONEERS OF TAMPA AND OF SOME WHO CAME AFTER THEM. , E. W. B. WILLEY, 1915
- GEORGE R. FAIRBANKS, HISTORY OF FLORIDA FROM ITS DISCOVERY BY PONCE DE LEON, IN 1512, TO THE CLOSE OF THE FLORIDA WAR, IN 1842, J.B. LIPPINCOTT & CO, 1871
- HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF COLONIAL FLORIDA,
- J. M. HAWKS, M. D, FLORIDA GAZETTEER., PRINTED AT THE BRONZE PEN STTAM BOOK AND JOB OFFICE, 112 GRAVIER STREET, 1871
- JOHN A. BETHELL, PINELLAS A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE LOWER POINT. , PRESS OF THE INDEPENDENT JOB DEPARTMENT, 1914
- JOHN L. MCKINNON,, HISTORY OF WALTON COUNTY. , THE BYRD PRINTING CO, 1911
- KARL H. GRISMER, HISTORY OF ST. PETERSBURG, TOURIST NEWS PUBLISHING CO, 1924
- SALLE E. BLAKE, TALLAHASSEE OF YESTERDAY, APPLEYARD, 1924
- THE HISTORY OF SAINT AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA : WITH AN INTRODUCTORY ACCOUNT OF THE EARLY SPANISH AND FRENCH ATTEMPTS AT EXPLORATION AND SETTLEMENT IN THE TERRITORY OF FLORIDA; TOGETHER WITH SKETCHES OF EVENTS AND OBJECTS OF INTEREST CONNECTED WITH THE OLDEST TOWN…
- WILLIAM W. DEWHURST, THE HISTORY OF ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA. WITH AN INTRODUCTORY ACCOUNT OF THE EARLY SPANISH AND FRENCH ATTEMPTS AT EXPLORATION AND SETTLEMENT IN THE TERRITORY OF FLORIDA, G.P. PUTNAM’S SONS, 1881
- WOODBURY LOWERY, THE SPANISH SETTLEMENTS IN THE UNITED STATES, FLORIDA 1562-1574, PUTNAM’S SONS, 1911