North Carolina County Histories
The Province of North Carolina developed distinctly from South Carolina almost from the beginning. In the 1650s and 1660s, settlers (mostly British) moved south from Virginia, in addition to runaway servants and fur trappers. They settled chiefly in the Albemarle Borderlands region.
In 1665, a second charter was issued to attempt to resolve territorial questions. In 1710, due to disputes over governance, the Carolina colony began to split into North Carolina and South Carolina. The latter became a crown colony in 1729. There were only about 5,000 settlers in 1700 and 11,000 in 1715. While mostly British, the settlers included a few African slaves and a colony at New Bern composed of Swiss and German settlers.
Growth was strong in the middle of the 18th century, as the economy attracted Scotch-Irish, Quaker, English and German immigrants. The colonists supported the American Revolution, as the Loyalists were weak. North Carolina made the smallest per-capita contribution to the war of any state, as only 7800 men joined the Continental Army under General George Washington.
On April 12, 1776, the colony became the first to instruct its delegates to the Continental Congress to vote for independence from the British crown.
- EVELYN G. WATERS, 1880 FEDERAL CENSUS OF ASHE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA., HIGGINSON BOOK COMPANY, 1992
- DR. C.D. SMITH, A BRIEF HISTORY OF MACON COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA., FRANKLIN PRESS PRINT, 1891
- ALFRED MOORE WADDELL, A HISTORY OF NEW HANOVER COUNTY AND THE LOWER CAPE FEAR REGION.
- RUMPLE, JETHRO AND DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. ELIZABETH MAXWELL STEELE CHAPTER, A HISTORY OF ROWAN COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA:. 1916
- REV. JETHRO RUMPLE, A HISTORY OF ROWAN COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA CONTAINING SKETCHES OF PROMINENT FAMILIES AND DISTINGUISHED MEN WITH AN APPENDIX., J. J. BRUNER, 1881
- JOHN PRESTON ARTHUR, A HISTORY OF WATAUGA COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA. WITH
SKETCHES OF PROMINENT FAMILIES.., EVERETT WADDEY CO, 1915
- F. A. SONDLEY, LL. D, ASHEVILLE AND BUNCOMBE COUNTY & GENESIS OF BUNCOMBE COUNTY., THE CITIZEN COMPANY, 1922
- REV. JACOB CALVIN LEONARD, D.D, CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF DAVIDSON COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA., EDWARDS & BROUGHTON COMPANY, 1927
- W. C. ALLEN, CENTENNIAL OF HAYWOOD COUNTY AND ITS COUNTY SEAT, WAYNESVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA., COURIER PRINTING COMPANY
- A.B. COX, FOOT PRINTS– ON THE SANDS OF TIME : A HISTORY OF– SOUTH-WESTERN VIRGINIA A
- BETTIE D. CALDWELL, FOUNDERS AND BUILDERS OF GREENSBORO 1808-1908., JOS. J. STONE & COMPANY, 1925
- MOSES N. AMIS, HISTORICAL RALEIGH (ENLARGED AND REVISED EDITION) WITH SKETCHES OF WAKE COUNTY (FROM 1771) AND ITS IMPORTANT TOWNS., COMMERCIAL PRINTING COMPANY PRINTERS AND BINDERS, 1913
- JOHN CROUCH, HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF WILKES COUNTY., THE CHRONICLE JOB OFFICE, 1902
- J. KELLY TURNER, HISTORY OF EDGECOMBE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA., EDWARDS & BROUGHTON PRINTING CO, 1920
- W. C. ALLEN, HISTORY OF HALIFAX COUNTY., THE CORNHILL COMPANY
- HIRAM V. PAUL, HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF DURHAM, N. C., EDWARDS, DROUGHTON & CO., STEAM PRINTERS AND BINDERS, 1884
- HOPE SUMMERELL CHAMBERLAIN, HISTORY OF WAKE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA WITH SKETCHES OF THOSE WHO HAVE MOST INFLUENCED ITS DEVELOPMENT., EDWARDS & BROUGHTON PRINTING COMPANY, 1922
- HOPE S. CHAMBERLAIN, HISTORY OF WAKE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA : WITH SKETCHES OF THOSE WHO HAVE MOST INFLUENCED ITS DEVELOPMENT
- J.A. BLAIR, REMINISCENCES OF RANDOLPH COUNTY
- RUTHERFORD COUNTY, ITS ESTABLISHMENT, EARLY HISTORY, TOPOGRAPHY, SOIL, PRODUCTS AND OTHER RESOURSES.
- STACK & BEASLEY, SKETCHES OF MONROE AND UNION COUNTY., NEWS AND TIMES PRINT, 1902
- HENRY T. KING, SKETCHES OF PITT COUNTY A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COUNTY., EDWARDS & BROUGHTON PRINTING COMPANY PRINTERS AND BINDERS, 1911
- C. L. HUNTER, SKETCHES OF WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA, HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL., THE RALEIGH NEWS STEAM JOB PRINT, 1877
- C. L. HUNTER, SKETCHES OF WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA, HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL.
- BENJ. B. WINBORNE, THE COLONIAL AND STATE POLITICAL HISTORY OF HERTFORD COUNTY, N. C., EDWARDS & BROUGHTON, 1906
- MANLY WADE WELLMAN, THE COUNTY OF WARREN NORTH CAROLINA 1586-1917., THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA PRESS, 1915
- SALLIE W. STOCKARD, A. B., THE HISTORY OF GUILFORD COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA., GAUT-OSDEN CO., PRINTERS AND BOOK BINDERS, 1969
- J. B. ALEXANDER, M. D., THE HISTORY OF MECKLENBURG COUNTY FROM 1740 TO 1900., OBSERVER PRINTING HOUSE, 1902