Part V: Iowa’s Perspective
This collection consists of memoirs, pamphlets, and regimental histories from the Civil War holdings at the University of Iowa.
The newly-added materials provide battle perspectives from both soldiers and generals, with additional accounts of Midwest action. Iowa provided more troops per capita than any other Union state, and these writings reflect the experiences of Iowa soldiers as they fought in nearly all the campaigns and major battles throughout the war years.
The Second, 14th, 15th, Twentieth, Twenty-first and 22nd Iowa Infantry Brigades are represented here, along with the 2nd Iowa Cavalry and Crocker’s Iowa Brigade.
The Browse and/or Search links below are for visitors on networks with institutional access to this collection. Individuals with personal subscriptions must login at accessible.com to access the Browse and Search features.
- The Bright Side of prison life, experiences in prison and out, and of an involuntary sojourner in Rebeldom, Samuel A. Swiggett, 1897
- Dark Days of the Rebellion, Benjamin F. Booth, 1897
- History of the 15th Regiment, Iowa Veteran Volunteers, Belknap et al, 1887
- History of the 2nd Iowa Cavalry, Lyman B. Pierce, 1865
- One Year’s Soldiering: Embracing the Battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh, by the chaplain of the 14th Iowa Infantry, 1863
- Proceedings of Crocker’s Iowa Brigade at the 5th biennial reunion, 1892
- Proceedings of Crocker’s Iowa Brigade at the 6th biennial reunion, 1895
- Proceedings of the 22nd Regiment Iowa Volunteers at its first reunion, 1887
- Proceedings of the Flag Day Reunion of the Second Iowa infantry volunteers, 1895
- Progress of life and thought, Arthur Wherry Richards, 1892
- Recollections of Field Service with the Twentieth, Chester Barney, 1896
- Sketches of the War, 2nd Edition, Charles Henry Nott, 1865
- Song of Crocker’s Iowa Brigade, William North Belknap, 1853
- Tramps and Triumphs of the Second Iowa Infantry, John Thomas Bell, 1886
- The Twenty-First Regiment of the Iowa Infantry, George Crooke, 1891