Tag Archives: Pennsylvania
4985608006_b7af336051_b

Michael Hait on Necrologies in Old County Histories

The word necrology comes from the Greek words meaning, literally, “words of the dead.” These lists of those citizens who had died began to appear in many of the county histories published in the nineteenth century. In the days before vital registration took hold in many states, these necrologies provide evidence of the dates of death of many citizens—both prominent and common.

Necrologies appear in multiple forms in these county histories.

(more…)


Battle_of_Crooked_Billet_Monument

How Hatboro, Pennsylvania got its Name

Hatboro was incorporated August 26, 1871, and contains an area of about six hundred acres, taken wholly from Moreland township. Its extreme length from north to south is one and a half miles; greatest breadth, three-fourths of a mile; and extends on the Bucks County line nearly half said distance. The main part of the town is situated along the old York road, which is now called York Avenue, opened through from Philadelphia to the present Centre Bridge in the fall of 1711. The Hatboro’ and Warminster turnpike was completed in 1850, and extends from the Willow Grove to the Street road, a distance of four and a half miles.

The name of the place is said to be derived from one of the first stone houses built here, which was about 1705, and in which, shortly after, John Dawson followed for many years his occupation of making hats.

(more…)


Joseph Gould

A Look Inside The Story of Pennsylvania’s The Forty-Eighth Regiment

One of our newest collections, The Civil War Part VI: Northeast Regimental Histories, contains extensive documentation and photographs from various regiments and other military organizations spanning the Civil War years and the decades to follow.

This is a look inside one of  the the twenty volumes in this full-text searchable collection.

The Story of The Forty-Eighth

A Record of the Campaigns of the Forty-Eighth Regiment Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry during the four eventful years of its service in the war for the preservation of the Union by late Quartermaster Sergeant of the Regiment, Mt. Carmel, Pa.

The Preface

In compiling this volume the author has had access to many sources of information: his own and other private diaries, prepared in camp, when the events were fresh, at the close of a day’s march, or after a battle; General Orders; Official Records of the War; historical references; extracts from articles culled from the Century and other magazines, giving reminiscences of officers on both sides of the conflict; biographies and auto-biographies of General Officers; original articles by members of the Organization; the Official Report of Colonel Henry Pleasants, whose fertile brain conceived, engineered, and successfully exploded the Mine at Petersburg, that splendid operation that has given the Regiment a unique distinction, not enjoyed by any other organization in the Army of the Potomac; and last, but not least, the “Memorial of the Patriotism of Schuylkill County,” compiled and published by Francis B. Wallace, associate editor of the Miners’ Journal, in 1865, from the files of that paper during the war.

In the preparation of this work, which has required much labor and research, some slight error or misstatement of fact may have crept in; if such be found, let the reader be not too critical or severe, but remember that the events herein portrayed occurred over forty-two years ago. The object has been, in a general way, to add to the history of those stirring times the story of a Regiment proud of its achievements and inspired by the hope that its record shall not be forgotten when taps shall have been sounded over the resting place of the last survivor, but that the youth of the land who may perchance read its history may emulate its deeds by similar patriotic service should their country call them to do battle for its preservation or in defense of its flag.

The author extends his thanks to all those who have aided him with their advice or labor. Especially is he under obligation to the editors of the Miners’ Journal, who so kindly placed the files of their paper at his disposal; to Sergeant P. H. Monaghan, of Company F, and Robert A. Reid, of Company G, for original articles descriptive of some special operation observed by them; to Color Sergeant, Samuel Beddall, of Company E, Sergeant Daniel Donne, of Company G, and Captain F. D. Koch, of Company I; and especially to Sergeant William J. Wells, of Company F, for several original articles and for his valuable services in preparing and editing the work.

Joseph Gould,
Late Quartermaster Sergeant, 48th Regiment, P.V.V.I.

(more…)


STUMBAUGH-featured

New Book: The Seventy-Seventh Pennsylvania at Shiloh

As we recently announced, we are expanding our Civil War Collection with  the addition of Part VI: Northeast Regimental Histories.  One of the books in this new collection is The Seventy-Seventh Pennsylvania at Shiloh: History Of The Regiment And The Battle Of Shiloh.

This volume and it’s illustrations document the history of the Seventy-seventh Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers as well as details about their daily life in the Civil War. The latter part of the book tackles the task of correcting popular misconceptions about the battle at Shiloh in a chapter called Shiloh Misunderstood.

The Northeast Regimental Histories are now searchable via your Accessible Archives account if your organization has access,

The Creation of the  Regiment

On the first day of August, 1861, Frederick S. Stumbaugh of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, received authority from the War Department to raise a regiment to be composed of one company of artillery and eight companies of infantry. He began recruiting at once. The companies for the regiment were recruited in the counties of Allegheny, Erie, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Lancaster and Luzerne. Thus the central, northern, eastern, southern and western parts of the State were represented in this regiment.

A general rendezvous was established at “Camp Slifer,” Chambersburg, so named in honor of the Hon. Eli Slifer, then Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Pursuant to orders, the regiment left “Camp Slifer” on October 6, 1861, and went by rail to Camp Wilkins at Pittsburg, Pa., where it was organized, armed, equipped and mustered into the United States’ service on the eighth day of October, 1861. It was thereafter known as the Seventy-seventh Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers.

Frederick S. Stumbaugh was chosen Colonel. Peter B. Housum, of Chambersburg, Pa., who had recruited about one hundred men, for the artillery company was made Lieutenant Colonel, and Stephen N. Bradford, of Luzerne county, was commissioned Major.

Hamburg and Purdy Roads at Shiloh

Hamburg and Purdy Roads at Shiloh

Source

The Seventy-Seventh Pennsylvania at Shiloh: History Of The Regiment And The Battle Of Shiloh

Dedication

To The Soldiers Of The Seventy-Seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers.
In Remembrance Of The Days Of 1861-1866, While Together In Camp, On The March, In Battle, And In Confederate Prisons.


Positive SSL